About Best Practices HR
Who We ARE:
Best Practices HR is a minority woman-owned human resources consulting LLC. The company was founded in 2020. The owner and her team have a combination of over 30 years of varied human resources exposure and have consistently remained dedicated to the field. Best Practices HR is proud to provide industry specific expertise to small and mid-sized companies.
What We Do:
Meet the Team
Shawn Ellert, MS
Shawn Ellert, owner of Best Practices HR, (located in Indiana) has over 10 years of Human Resources experience, 5 of which have been in a leadership role. Shawn is a Human Resources professional with a strong knowledge in recruitment, employee relations, leadership and employee development, training, and employment law.
Shawn has provided Human Resources services to the manufacturing, healthcare, non-profit and education sectors. Shawn’s role as a Human Resources leader included the successful re-engineering of the Human Resources department goals and practices to be in alignment with business goals and objective. She is instrumental in leading Human Resources to be a strategic business partner. As a result of this partnership, Shawn was able to assist in many organizational, morale and compensation changes. Shawn is astute in identifying areas in need of improvement with the vision to develop and implement successful human resources action plans.
Shawn has a Master’s degree in Organizational Leadership and Supervision with a concentration in Human Resources and is an active member of SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management).
Keri Steward, MBA
Keri Steward, owner of G.O.D.D.E.S.S. Keri (Grateful, Open, Divine, Different, Evolving, Shining, Stars) has over 12 years of Human Resources experience, 6 of which have been in a leadership role within start-ups, acquisitions, turnarounds and high growth organizations.
As a strategic and innovative HR Executive who translates business vision into HR initiatives that improve performance, profitability, growth, and employee engagement Keri is an empowering leader who supports companies and top executives with a unique perspective and appreciation that human capital is every organization’s greatest asset.
Keri is a genuine influencer who thrives on tough challenges and translates visions and strategies into actionable, value-added goals to the manufacturing, logistics, hospitality, education, and non-profit sectors. Keri’s role as a Human Resources Director includes successful HR Best Practices¨ Employee Relations & Diversity ¨ Employee Engagement ¨ Organizational Development Change Management¨ Employee Performance Improvement ¨ Workforce Planning & Development ¨ Talent Acquisition ¨Leadership Development¨ M&A Strategies & Due Diligence ¨ Staff Coaching & Mentoring¨ HR Policy, Process & Systems Design ¨ and ¨ Organization-Wide Consensus Building.
With a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Science, she uses an integrated approach to health and wellness within the workplace by putting the “Human” in Human Resources. She is instrumental in leading Human Resources to be a strategic business partner with all facets of an organization. Keri is excited about the prospect of applying her visionary and leadership skills to help your company achieve their vision.
Keri has a master’s degree in Human Resources Management, a certified executive life coach and is an active member of SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management).
Up to 1 hour of complimentary assessment and consultation
• Human Resources Supervisory Training for first-time supervisors, managers and business owners.
• Management and employee development training, helping your business become an “Employer of Choice”
• Improve management communication and decision-making skills
• Managing Difficult Employees
• Best practices for investigations, grievances and complaints.
• Effective employee satisfaction and retention strategies
• Conflict resolution
• Progressive Discipline
• Personnel files and record keeping
• Pay equity
• Job descriptions (ADA compliance)
• Legal postings
• Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action
• Workers’ Compensation
• Fair Labor Standards Act
• Family and Medical Leave Act
• Legal reporting
• Pandemic Transitioning
• Turn Over and Root Cause Analysis
• Exit Interviews, Employee Job Satisfaction and Engagement Analysis
• Retention Planning and Strategies
• Creation, Administration, Analysis and Interpretation of Employee attitude Surveys
• Employee Life cycle Phases (e.g. recruitment, integration, development and departure).
• Employee retention concepts (e.g., causes of turnover) and best practices (e.g., realistic job previews)
• Key components of, and best practices associated with, performance management systems.
• Methods for assessing employee attitudes (e.g., focus groups, stay interviews, surveys).
• Principles of effective performance appraisal (e.g., goal setting, giving feedback).
• Retention and turnover metrics
• Monitor competitive wage rates to develop or modify compensation plans
• Oversee the distribution of pay and benefits information to the organization’s employees
• Ensure that pay and benefits plans comply with federal and state regulations